Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Proper Propeller

gmpellett
gmpellett Member Posts: 1
Dear Capt. Steve,

I have just ordered a new Aqua Patio 240 with a Honda 250 hp motor and would appreciate your guidance on proper propeller selection.

The boat will be used primarily on Lake Havasu in Arizona. Elevation is about 500 feet. While I do not believe this boat is heavy enough to suggest a stainless prop, I would like your opinion. Loads will vary between two and 10 people, so I suppose planning for an average load of 750 pound of people makes sense. Most of the use will be in the winter, so temperatures will rarely exceed 80 degrees. Humidity is generally low.

I have owned various boats, large (36' Albin Trawler) and small (Stingray 220dr, 16' Esquire ski boatg, etc.) so I am not completely unaware of the variables.

My gut tells me an aluminum 4-blade at 15 1/2 X 18 would be most efficient at most speeds with the Honda 250 hp outboard with a 2:1 reduction, or perhaps a 3-blade 15 1/2 X 19 may be a little better. However, I would prefer the advice of a professional who knows the Aqua Patio line to guide me.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 137 admin
    Sure thing, GM...I've run boats on Lake Havasu for years, but never a pontoon. I'm sending a note to the primary Aqua Patio engineer who literally tests every available prop for every model. He will be a great help in dialing in your boat. Stay tuned...great to have you here!
  • Capt_Steve
    Here's the info from the engineering dept....

Without question, this is an application for a stainless prop.  We force the issue at 150 HP and I personally see noticeable results at 115.  I recommend Honda prop 58133-ZY3-A17S for this application.  We have a couple on hand if this person wants to buy through his dealer, our part number 168060.
  • SweetH20
    SweetH20 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Steve... I did not realize that your engineers test every avail. prop on each model boat but now that I do, it would be very helpful to get a recommendation on what is the best prop. to use on a 2013 Sweetwater 220 SL Tritoon with a 150 hp Merc. 4 stroke ? 

• SweetH20
  • jamespvaca
    jamespvaca Member Posts: 1
    I have the same question except I have a Honda 150. Thanks!
  • SweetH20
    Captain Steve...was just following up as it is time to get that prop- won't be long until Spring boating season
  • Capt_Steve
    Hey @SweetH20 & @jamespvaca ... engineers are telling me that the best way to dial this in is with the prop selector resources on the engine websites. What they actually test are prop categories, not every individual prop like I originally stated. Sorry for the incorrect info.

www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector