Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Speedometer not working on 2014 Sweetwater 2086

Options
johndk
johndk Member Posts: 8
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, or if I should find a Yamaha outboard forum
The speedometer on my recently purchased, used, 2014 Sweetwater pontoon, model SW2086C3 pontoon is not working.
I don't find any transducer below the water line.  The rubber tube coming from the speedometer appears to go back to the front of the engine...which is a 2014 Yamaha T50LB outboard engine.  It leads to the front of the engine down by the engine bracket to the transom.  I haven't done any further troubleshooting so far.  I guess my question is, does this engine have a built in speed transducer?  I have the Owners manual for the engine but don't see anything there about a speed transducer built into the engine.  Any suggestions/comments?
Thanks
John D

Comments

• johndk
    Options
    I think I may have found the answer to my own question.  Found this youtube video referenced over in the Pontoons Support Q&A forum.  My Yamaha engine does have a transducer port on the leading edge of the outboard, below the water line.  The video suggests cleaning the port with a 1/16" drill bit.  There's just a bit more to it, but check out this video if you run into this problem.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQ3opX9yhU
    John D.
  • Boomer
    Boomer Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Was just going to send that to you keep an 1/8" drill bit onboard I use the one that has the chuck fitting on the end easy to hold on to or glue a wire nut on the bit
  • johndk
    Options
    Thanks for the help.  I got it fixed by using a small drill bit on the transducer port on the leading edge of the engine.  Then I disconnected the tubing above the water line and blew back on the tubing, by mouth, towards the transducer until it was clear.  Works great now.  I think I'll make it part of my annual maintenance routine to clean out the port and lower end of the tubing.