Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fuel gauge inop

Options
ga/sc_boater
ga/sc_boater Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone, I have an 07 sweetwater 2386 sport tri-toon. The fuel gauge is not working and I'm wondering if there are any service manuals available or theory of operation documentation? I can sort it out myself, but trying to save some time. Thanks!
Donnie

Comments

• Boomer
    Boomer Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Options
     Unlike a car, marine fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. That said, there are 2 parts. The instrument (gauge) and a sending unit, at the fuel tank. Go to the fuel tank. There should be access where the fuel lines runs to the engine, so follow that hose from the engine back to the tank. 

The gauge only has 2 wires. The center one, is the sender wire. the other is a ground. Turn the key to on, and jump between the 2 wires. The gauge should go to Full. If not check the continuity of the wires and power to the back to the gauge. It it does go to full, remove the sender and replace it. You should take the one you have to your supplier (dealer or West Marine), so you can match it. 

There is a rheostat that fails in the sender. 

Hook the wires to the sender, before you install it, and move the arm back and forth. The needle should move. If not you could have a bad gauge. 

About 85% of the time it's wires or sender.
  • ga/sc_boater
    Options
    Thanks Boomer, that's pretty much the route I was gonna go. I'm thinking sender as well since the gauge is pegged empty. I'll give it a go and let you know. Thanks a ton!

Donnie
  • ga/sc_boater
    Options
    Got it taken care of. There was a ground wire that a critter ate through, and the wires at the sending unit looked a little sketch so I replaced the sender too. Thanks for your help!
  • Boomer
    Boomer Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Options