Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Cavitation Problem on 27" toons with Yamaha 115

ThePad
ThePad Member Posts: 8
There is an obvious problem, which I am sure you are well aware of, with cavitation on 27" pontoon with Yamaha 115 motor. What is the manufacturer stance on this issue?  I read where one person received a longer propeller shaft under warranty?  There have to many people out there with this issue?  I have had the boat on the water 3 times and it runs terribly.  The trim is all the way down and still does not work right at 4,000 rpm.

Comments

• ThePad
    Just received a call from the Nautical Group (same day phone return call response was awesome) and he agreed to lower to the fourth hole mount at their expense. I will update the results.  
  • Ddancers
    Ddancers Member Posts: 110 ✭✭

In the past I've called Nautical Group on another issue and they were very helpful.

Good luck with the lowing , I know how you feel. Mine was so bad that the kids would lift up from there seat when it happen. I still get an occasional blow out, but no where as bad as the cavitation was. If the blow out get worst I'll ask what can be done. It might just be debris causing it. Yes please update us

• joem
    joem Member Posts: 1
    I am having the engine lowered tomorrow to the 4th hole on my 2015 2086 with 27" tubes.  I will keep you informed on how this works
  • Ddancers
    Good Luck!
  • ThePad
    It works better being lowered to the fourth hole, but the problem still exists with 4 or more people on board. The next step I guess will be the Whale tail Hydrofoil that was recommended by another user.
  • bafdaf
    bafdaf Member Posts: 2
    I have the 2015 SW 240 SD with the 115 Yamaha and am experiencing the same cavitation problems and blow outs, although not consistently.  Does this occur with the 150?  There must be a final fix for this from the manufacturer. 
  • Ddancers
    My unit was extended about 6 inches and corrected the cavitation, but I lost about 7 mph in speed. I've asked to have the motor raised 2 holes to see if that will be the sweet spot. Having a motor to low can create just as many problems as being to high.
    I'll let you know how it turns out. Just hope they get to it this season.
  • Ddancers
    Well move the motor up two holes. Added 1.4 mph. 400 rpms and better trim response. I know the tubes are dirty so next year after they're cleaned I'll see how close my top end is to the original 27.4 mph. If at least 25 I'll let things stay as they are if less I'll raise motor one more hole and hope I hit the sweet spot.
  • ShoeDoctor
    ShoeDoctor Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I have a 2015 SW 2286FCS with 27" toons and a Yamaha 115. 
    I am also experiencing the cavitation issue that you guys are referring to.
    If 2 or more adult are sitting on my front loungers cavitation is inevitable unless the motor is trimmed all the way down. Since I have fishing chairs in the rear, seating passengers behind the helm  is not an option when I am underway. That leaves me to place my passengers on the L-shaped lounger across from the helm. I have not had more than 3 passengers on board so far so I have no idea how bad the cavitation will be when I have 4 or more people on board.

• Ddancers

I feel for you friend, and know just how upset you are.

Yes they know they have an issue with the 27" tube setup. The sad thing is even if it's fixed like mine was they don't strive to do a 100% correction. After extending the shaft they should have raise the motor all the way up and tried it. If the cavitation was still there they should have lower one notch at a time to determine the optimum performance  position. I had to ask they lift it two notches and pay for the labor.

If next year it's still ok I'll have pay to have it raised one more notch because I'm sure the performance will improve if there still is no cavitation. It's not just the cost that frustrates me it's the wasted time and seemingly lack of concern for my issues with this purchase. I'm not so sure Sweetwater is the problem name for these toons.

• horsepen40
    horsepen40 Member Posts: 3
    Isn't it a shame that we are all having these problems with ventilation or "blowout" on a boat that cost what these have cost us. In good faith, I could never recommend a Sweetwater to anyone.  The factory won't step up and correct an inherent design problem.  Could this be the reason for selling the company to Bennington?  Now they can simply walk away and wash their hands of the whole dirty mess they have created?  The warranty usually doesn't follow the boat to the new owner of the company. They will warrant the ones they build, but the rest of us have been hung out to dry since Global no longer exists!
  • Ddancers

Sounds like you may be right. Glad I had work done before the sale, but still it's not right. I had an extension added to shaft which improved condition, but I lost several mph on top end. Recently had motor raised to notches to compensate and it improved the top end speed, but I get slippage after a few minutes running. Will maybe try a new propeller. This problem so far has resulted in costing me $125 raising the motor and will likely cost more before resolved. Right now I just want to corrected problem at a reasonable price. However if I knew I'd have this kind of issue would never have purchase the 115hp would have went with the heavier 150hp or another manufacturer .

• Ddancers
    edited February 2016

Well another year coming up so I'm refreshing this Topic. I'm not looking forward to facing the same cavitation, and slippage issues, but not much choice so getting a head start on Forum to see if anyone has found a way to resolve the issue.  I was going to have propeller changed, but my dealer suggested I wait until the tubes were cleaned this year. However I did go to the Yamaha site and used the online propeller guide. The results came up with a recommendation Pontoon Performance Diameter: 14, Pitch: 11, or 14/12 or /14/13.   I asked the dealer what was currently on the motor and he stated a 17 inch or pitch but he wasn't sure witch, likely pitch. I was surprised because that was way more than what was recommended on the Yamaha site. I was a bit excited thinking that this might correct the condition. To be safe I called Yamaha and was again surprised when the Tech stated that 17 in diameter was the correct size for the setup. Now totally confused and wondering if anyone has try using a different propeller on the F115 LB engine with positive results

• ThePad

I am getting ready for the upcoming year as well. Has anyone tried the Whale tail hydro foil?  It appears to be an inexpensive option at this time.

• Ddancers
    I've read some say it works well. However I'd check with dealer for possible warranty concerns.