Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Attaching tow rope to pontoon eyes for tubing

Capt Steve in 2013 posted this, 
  •  The recommendation is that you purchase a "Y" harness and attach to the pontoon tube eyes for tubing. You CAN use the existing tow bar for skiing.

We purchased a 2013 Sweetwater Tuscany and I contacted Godfrey via email asking if it was safe to attached the Y harness to the tube eyes for tubing and here is the answer I received from J.R. Summey the Godfrey rep:

"You could check with your dealer to see if it has ski tow bar option, they would need the boat serial # to see if one is available"

• So which is it? Attach the tow rope for tubing to a ski tow bar or to the pontoon eyes?

Answers

• CRF
    CRF Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I have towed kids in a tube and adults just for fun just using the pontoon eyes with a Y-bridle. I have a small motor anyway. If you are going to tow serious skiers or wakeboarders I would see if there's a ski-tow bar  available.
  • Boomer
    Boomer Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Most Y harness won't fit through the eyes on the pontoon you need to put a shackle on the tubes and don't forget to run a wire through the shackle bolt so it won't back out. 
  • Boomer
    Boomer Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Also Ski Bars are for Skis not tubes there is to much drag and dealer says you could bend it also states it on the ski bar

• Ddancers
    Ddancers Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    My dealer assured me that I can use the ski bar for tubing. Have only used it twice for tubing, but had no problem. My dealer rents out a least a half dozen Sweetwaters with the same ski bar, and they rent the tubes as well which are used often. Told me they been doing so for years with no issues. I would just keep it two adults max but I'm sure others have gone beyond that.
  • Toddler65
    Toddler65 Member Posts: 12
    I would get it in writing from the dealer. If the tow bar is bent from tubing the manufacturer will not warranty it. Cover your bases.
  • Ddancers
    Ddancers Member Posts: 110 ✭✭

You're exactly right if it bends you need to foot the cost, and I know the dealer is not going to sign anything stating it's ok, but I asked and that was his opinion.

On our lake I estimate that I've seen at least 6 dealer boats, another 12 to 15 Sweetwater, and at least 4 Aqua Patio pontoons pulling tubes with the standard tow bar. I don’t know if anyone has had an issue, but I’m convince if you tube with two or less adults or 3 or less small kids you won’t have an issue. If I do, I would not try to get it replaced under warranty I’d just buy another at cost.  Attaching to eye means you likely need a center float ball to keep rope above water, and an upgrade bar I believe is over $900. It’s a personal decision, and I’ve only use mine twice and no problem yet.