Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

saltwater corrosion protection

Options
lovetoboat
lovetoboat Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
I have read that a pontoon in Fla. has a leak problem that appears to be coming from the inside of the keel which is not the solid type keel. Is there a way to protect this area? there does not  appear to be able to get paint inside there. Also,should zinks be used on the toons used in saltwater? And where would they be installed? 2 coats of barrior paint and none copper paint-like interlux pacifick plus are needed to avoid marine growth.Thanks for any input.

Comments

• CRF
    CRF Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    Options

I put my boat in saltwater for a solid week once a year, plus assorted day trips during the year. I have spots and discoloration from the salt water on the tubes.

The rest of the time it sits in fresh water.

I have done nothing to protect it. The outboard is trimmed up, but it has zincs from Yamaha anyway. If you're going to do more hours in salt water than me, I think there's a bottom paint for aluminum. I am not sure what area of the boat you say may have leaks.

• lovetoboat
    Options
    Thanks  CRF - Saltwater corrosion can  lead to extrem damage without the proper paint . But I dont think it will happen in a week. Also electrolisis from stray electric currant in the water can cause damage and even kill a person swimming. Thanks again.Happy and safe boating.
  • CRF
    CRF Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

I don't have shorepower (no AC) so there's no worry of stray current. I have had real boats and the problem electricity that hurts people  comes from AC shorepower or generator sources, not galvanic corrosion.

My old marina was across the river from a power plant, stray current was everywhere in the marina wet slips.

source below BOAT US:

When two or more boats are connected to shore power, one side of the necessary circuit required to form a galvanic couple is provided by the AC green grounding wire, which is also connected to the boat ground system, engine, and underwater hardware. The seawater electrolyte provides the other side of the circuit. Galvanic current flowing around the circuit will corrode the least noble metal between the two (or more) boats, in this case an aluminum sterndrive.

If you unplug the shore power cord, you (and the boat) wont have the benefit of AC appliances like battery chargers and refrigeration. Another quick fix — interrupting the circuit by cutting the green grounding wire on your boat — means the AC electrical system will no longer be grounded and anyone in the water near your boat runs the considerable risk of being electrocuted by stray AC current. Even a few milliamps of AC electricity in the water can paralyze a swimmers muscles, causing him or her to drown.

• lovetoboat
    Options
     CRF -A very belated thank you for your input . That explains it.