Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• Best Of...
  • Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

We are excited to announce that a full Forum system upgrade is under way, which will make it even easier to get answers to your questions, help other owners by using your boating experience, and receive dependable advice from our network of experts. While things may look and operate a little differently, we believe the new system will ultimately improve your Forum Member experience.

We are doing everything we can to transition your account smoothly without you having to change your current login, username or password. You should be able to get into your account exactly the same way once the transition takes place. However, if you have any questions or comments, please leave a comment in the General Discussions category.

We look forward to sharing new features with you as we upgrade and improve your Owner's Club Forum experience!

Pontoons leaking on a 2001 Sweetwater 20SC-Is it the "V" ?

I have the 3 little plastic plugs on top of each toon so I assume the toons for this year model are made up of 3 separet chambers. I have removed the toons in the past and had some spots welded and applied a really good sealer and paint. Had no trouble for years. I trailer it over the winter each year and its in fersh water from July to October1. Last season I noticed both toons took on some water. Enough that it sat about 4 inches lower than normal. I finished out the season and noticed water leaking while it was on trailer but could not locate leak.

I have now removed each toon and do not see any bad welds, cracks or anything. One think I do notice is that there is a welded "V" shaped piece along the bottom of the entire toon. I assume this is to protect it from damage running aground. The "V" is open at the end so I assume its like a hollow tube all the way down that stays wet but can never be patched, welded, or painted underneath it because the "V" covers a 2 inch wide by 20 foot long section of the bottom. If it gets a pin hole under there, how do you repair? Do you have to cut the entire V off to get access or just weld the V shut?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• lovetoboatlovetoboat Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
      I would seal the end of the "V"{epoky plug] also on the other toon to eliminate water entry through the V on both toons. Freshwater isnt as much of a problem but salt water is potentionaly a big problem .Seal up everything below water line is my best advice -good luck