Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Yamaha f70

Greetings All,
New boater here, have some questions on motor and performance,  I bought a used 2015  a sweet water 2086 BF with a Yamaha f70 (4 stroke ) with about 80 hr on it, I am running a duel thrust 14X11 pontoon prop on it now and I am getting about 21 - 22 mph at 6300 - 6400 rpm with it, when I have 6 - 8 people on it speed is a little slower. 

My question is if I switch to a Stainless Steel prop would I get any better performance out of it? I am in St. Pete Fl so I go in Tampa bay would it be worth switching? mostly sandy bottom.

Comments

• Boomer
    Boomer Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's worth the money, I'm not a big believer in SS props. If you hit something in the water something has to give, it won't be the SS prop it will be your drive, with aluminum the prop will give. Now in high performance, there is a completely different answer, aluminum props will flatten out and you will lose speed. That's my opinion.   
  • jonesjj3
    jonesjj3 Member Posts: 5
    You are right there, and the pontoon is no way high performance, with that F70 on it, I did talk to an other fellow pontoon'r who has a Bennington 22ft tri-toon with Yamaha 150 he said it wont make much diff running SS on my boat as motor is pretty small. Was out on his boat and the tri-toon is a nice ride and the 150 on his 22ft seems to be a nice combo, I want one now.
  • Boomer
    I have a 2015 2286 Sweetwater Tritune with a 115 Yahama I get 34 wide open but my sweet spot is around 20-22 I am very satisfied

• jonesjj3
    Bommer, Do you know any one running the F70 in your area? just wondering what others may be running for  Prop and Size who has an F70 on there Pontoon? I am thinking of changing pitch a little maybe to a 13 vs 11 with the 14" diameter to knock down the rpm to say 5900 to 6000. I think I read some where that changing one deg of pitch is about = to 200 rpm change.

I do not notice that much speed diff between say 5900 and 6300 rpm so why run it high as long as I will not bog the eng with say 13 pitch through the entire throttle range.
  • Boomer
    Smallest engine I know of where I boat is a 90 but this may help you chose your prop http://yamahaoutboards.com/propellers/overview
  • jonesjj3
    Thanks will check it out