Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Engine Size for a Sweetwater 2286? NEED HELP 125? 250?

Kardun71
Kardun71 Member Posts: 2
Im looking to upgrade to a Sweetwater 2286 by the end of this month. Purchase Date is 7/1/18. My dealer is telling me i need a 125hp for the TriToon boat. From what some of my friends are telling me i need a 250hp or 200hp at the least. I'm trying to do some research and i'm hitting a dead end each time. Does anything have an opinun or advice? Its going to be a Honda Engine but i really need to know the HP for a 22ft TriToon Sweetwater. 

Comments

• RDLinKY
    RDLinKY Member Posts: 3
    I went to the boat show this past Feb and ordered a  2018 Sweetwater 2286 Tri-Toon with a Yamaha 150 on it. Been researching pontoons for about 1.5 years. Previously had a 19' runabout with a 205HP V6 I/O which my dealer took as a trade in. Took delivery of the new Sweetwater mid April. Love the boat! It runs 38 mph, pulls tubes and skiers very well. I was considering the 115HP, but sure am glad I went with the 150. The boat is rated for a 200HP motor however my research showed that the is not a bid difference (other than cost) in the Yamaha 150 vs 200. I am not sure about the Honda. I strongly recommend at least a 150 and higher than that if the budget allows. Also, make sure to get hydraulic steering and consider power assist. The power assist option is expensive, but it makes a big difference. I didn't get it and regret it now.

Regarding engine manufacturer, I wanted a Honda, but not many places around me work on them. My dealer recommended Yamaha 1st and Mercury 2nd. Yamaha has great reliability record, great warranty (5yrs) and was almost 2 grand less. Basically, I recommend sticking with what he dealer recommends regarding brand of motor but go with as much HP as the budget allows.

• gbownva
    gbownva Member Posts: 9
    just purchased a 2018 sw2286 with a 150 Suzuki  on it yesterday am sure its all the motor i will need were talking a pontoon not a scarab  
  • DMD
    DMD Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2015 SW 2286 WB Triple Toon that was originally powered by 150HP Yamaha with top end of 38mph, but it was rated for a 250HP.  I did the upgrade to a 250HP Yamaha and now the top end is 48mph, but I run around 30-35 mph cruising all day long with great fuel economy.  I still have the top end for running back to land when an afternoon thunderstorm kicks up.  It did require a change in the hydraulic steering system.
  • tgreif
    tgreif Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    Mine is a 2016 SW 2286 SL with 25" Tritoon package rated up to 150 HP and 13 passengers.  I have a 135HO Evinrude E-tec.  The boat runs 35-36 mph with a full tank and 2 people on board, and is more than enough for my needs.