Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Sanpan 2500FE (2004) Repower. 115 vs 150 hp Yamaha 4-stroke?

Options
CaptD
CaptD Member Posts: 1
Looking to repower a 2004 Sanpan 2500FE.  Rated 150 hp max. Trying to decide if worth the $3K extra to go larger. Looking for experiences with this boat with either of those powers. What speed can I expect? Is extra 100 lbs a problem at stern? Fast speed mainly for tube and wake board pulling of grandson getting older. Otherwise, just slow cruising. Other possible option is 140 hp Suzuki.
Tagged:

Comments

• Spike
    Spike Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I’m planning the same upgrade with our Godfrey SW2186MT “sport”.  How did you make out? How do you like the extra hp? 
  • TomE
    TomE Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Here's my observations: My Sanpan 2500 FE is new to me and I just had my first shakedown cruise on it yesterday. It's powered with a Mercury 115 EFI. This is one HEAVY boat, and actually steers like a barge, (something I just have to adjust to) and I can say that if I was going to power the boat, I'd go as large as the boat allows, i.e., I'd get the 150. The boat is rated for 17 people (that high a number would have to include a lot of children). I had 6 adults aboard, and although the 115 did ok, I'd still opt for the larger motor. IMHO.
  • Flitzer999
    Flitzer999 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    It all depends how much $3000 is worth to you, but what I can say is that the 150 to 200 hp Yamaha‘s are a completely different motor than the 115 hp Yamaha‘s. I have a 175 hp VMax on my 2019 2286 SFL tri-toon and it works great. If you only have three or four people on the boat, I can see where the 115 hp might be enough if you’re not concerned with having a ton of speed. If you think you might have five or six people on the boat I would definitely go with the 150 hp motor.
  • ditmasgooner
    ditmasgooner Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey guys,
     I’m brand new myself, having purchased a 2000 25’ LE which came with a 150 HP 2-stroke. Was wondering what people’s thoughts are of a 2 v 4 aside from the convenience of the 4-stroke?  Is performance/efficiency substantially better?  

Appreciate any guidance. 
  • TomE
    TomE Member Posts: 19
    Options
    See my previous comment, to which I would add that IMHO there is no comparison between the smoke free, quiet 4-stroke and the smelly, noisy 2-stroke. Heavier and costs more, but longer lasting and won't have your guests coughing when the wind shifts.
    Tom