Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Where do you attach bumpers?

captainreg
captainreg Member Posts: 2
I recently purchased a new Sweetwater 2286.   It is such a nice pontoon that I am shocked that there isn't any place to attach bumpers.  I hate the fact that I must drill into the railing to attach a clevis or other type of hanger.  This seems like a huge oversight of the manufactuer.  Anybody got any suggestions on what to buy and where to mount?

Answers

• 253checkmate
    253checkmate Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Check out Overton's catalog or the online site. They carry special fender hangers for pontoon rails. $20 for four.  Easy to adjust height. This is my third season with them and they are great. I had them on my 2086 and now my new 200 PE tritoon.
  • SweetH20
    SweetH20 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Agree with 253 checkmate. I bought the grey plastic clips that slip on the rail. I have my fenders pre adjusted and attached to the clips with a simple knot and then when I need them, just clip them on the rail. Iit takes about 2 seconds to hang them on the rail. Love them!
  • captainreg
    captainreg Member Posts: 2
    They won't work.  You cannot get anything around the railing.  The furniture sits tightly against the railing.
  • Koerb
    Koerb Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I ran into the same problem and went with a different approach.   Purchased 6 Nautos (#91025) roll ball bearing composite cam cleats and mounted 3 on each side, spacing them evenly on the top railing.   All that is required is placing the bumper rope inside the cleat, finding the right height then pulling down on the rope and locking it in place!   When your finished, a pull up on the rope disengages the rope from the cam and your set to cruise.

John Koerber

• vtwep
    vtwep Member Posts: 2
    We ordered these and they're great.  Just this past weekend had to switch a fender from port to starboard and did it in a matter of seconds.  Very easy to install and use:

• MotorBoatin
    MotorBoatin Member Posts: 7
    I foresee an issue using them as at the end of the day when you put the cover on, they may be poking into the cover hard and could damage the cover, also making it hard to snap the cover on, maybe not be able to at all.  Can anyone inform us on this issue? 
  • ftorrisi
    ftorrisi Member Posts: 7 ✭✭

I had 3 little "u" rings mounted on the each side of the boat.  They are really small - just big enough to clip the bumpers (with a key-chain clip kind of thing - that way they unclip easily for winter storage) and it works awesome.....never have to worry about the bumpers and they hang well above the water - exactly between the the pontoon and the body.....inexpensive clips but because it was new, I had the marina mount them....there is no interference with the seat covers as they are mounted at the right spot.  I also had a 'mid-ship' ring installed so I'm able to tie another line from the middle of the boat.....as we have our own dock and just adds a little more security.

• Ddancers
    Ddancers Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Here's how my bumpers are set up. Works well...........
    a.jpg 158.4K
    b.jpg 143.3K
  • Chillaxin
    Chillaxin Member Posts: 3
    Hey, Ddancers...that's a neat setup. Where did you get the hardware / clips to do that? What are they called? I also have a 2286 and nowhere to hang my fenders.
  • Ddancers

Hi Chillaxin - My Marina / Dealer provided them and some other items free when you buy . Here's a link to where you can buy them. Just have to bumpers but clip on both sides, very easy to switch sides when needed.

http://www.jmsonline.net/fender-lock-peg-ss-set.htm?gclid=CPKIxsqBvMECFQMT7Aoda2gAQw

• MotorBoatin
    MotorBoatin Member Posts: 7
    I use the ones Boomer uses. 
  • CRF
    CRF Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    I had boomers type too, someone stole them and fenders at a marina in Key Largo last week.
  • Ddancers
    That sucks.CFR. Sorry to hear it.. I have bumpers on the side that the boat next to me is on. On the slip decking side I don't use attached bumpers. Instead I lay 4 rope linked 8 X 24" bumpers in the water and attached to slip dock. They offer full cushion and protect the pontoon tubes as I enter the slip. It works great and I feel offer maximum protection.
  • CRF
    CRF Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    Sams has an Atwood 3 pk fenders for $18, just got them. Ordered my clips from Overtons also. Should be back in business for $40